Veterinary Compounding Specialists
Sterile Injectables and Ophthalmics
Columbine Drug offers state-of-the art, sterile, veterinary compounding by pharmacists specifically trained in aseptic compounding techniques. Our products are made from the highest quality ingredients and quality assurance protocols are strictly adhered to.
Opthalmic Veterinary Compounding Products
Cyclosporin; prednisone with sulfacetamide; dexamethasone sodium phosphate with gentamycin; tacrolimus are but a few examples of opthalmic solutions and suspensions available. The beauty of veterinary drug compounding is that the veterinarian can make up a wish list of ingredients and consult with our pharmacists to determine compatibility. So any number of combinations are possible!
Our transdermal products are formulated in a lecithin/organogel (PLO) complex. Studies have shown this complex to be highly effective in transporting drug molecules suspended within it across the epidermis and dermis. A PLO gel is an excellent delivery system, due to its ease of application and compatibility with any number of drug entities. Some examples include:
- Methimazole (tapazole): commonly supplied as a 5mg/0.1ml concentration it is dispensed in a syringe with instructions on dosing a specified amount to the inner ear flap. Studies have shown excellent absorption using this route of administration.
Physical Therapy Products
Columbine Drug is the largest distributor of iontophoresis and phonophoresis products in Colorado and the Rocky Mountain Region. Physical therapy treatment modalities, that include drug therapy, certainly have application to the veterinary practitioner who uses ultrasound and iontophoretic devices as a drug delivery system.
Iontophoresis Products Include
Dexamethasone 0.4% solution: this is a pure solution made specifically for this purpose. There are no preservatives or additives that produce competing ions that may inhibit full penetration of the dexamethasone molecule. It is buffered to prevent any burning at the site of administration.
- Lidocaine 4% solution: used alone or in combination with dexamethasone to reduce pain at the site.
- Epinephrine 1:1000solution: allows the target drug to remain on site longer and increases therapeutic action.
- Potassium iodide, sodium chloride, acetic acid solutions used as scherolytic agents.
Phonophoresis Products Include
- Dexamethasone 0.4% in ultrasound gel (lidocaine may be added)
- Hydrocortisone 10% in ultrasound gel or emollient cream